APPLE FARRO SALAD
1 cup farro
1 teaspoon salt
½ cup almonds, chopped (can substitute nut of choice)
2 apples (I used Honeycrisp)
1 cup craisins (can substitute raisins, golden raisins, chopped dates)
¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
8-6 ounces of your favorite cheese (smoked mozzarella, Swedish Farmers, feta, blue cheese)
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 ½ tablespoons balsamic vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine farro, salt and 6 cups of water in a medium size saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until tender (about 25 minutes). When done, drain into a colander. Set aside to drain.
- Chop parsley, dice cheese (if needed), and core and dice apples, leaving skin on for extra fiber. Set each aside in separate bowls.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
- In a large bowl combine drained farro, craisins, parsley, and cheese. Tossing gently to mix.
- Drizzle balsamic vinaigrette over mix and toss to coat. Can be served warm or chilled.